What is a 3D printed action figure?
A 3D printed action figure is made by 3D printing someone posed in a costume on a full-color 3D printer. To get a 3D model of yourself as your favorite superhero you can either 3D model it from scratch (super time intensive) or get 3D scanned on a full body 3D scanner and receive your 3D printed action figure in ~3 weeks- no 3D modeling required!
If you want to go the 3D scanning route we can connect you to one of our partners who has a full body 3D scanner near your location. Click here to be put in touch with someone.
Steps required to make a 3D printed action figure (more details below):
- Pick a costume
- Find a location/event with a full body 3D scanner
- Take your 3D scan
- Receive your 3D printed action figure
Steps to Create Your Own 3D Printed Action Figure
1. Pick a costume- To make your 3D printed action figure, you’ll first want to select which character you want to make and put together a costume. You can either head to the costume store or make one yourself.
Tip: Try to avoid costumers with lots of see-through materials or shiny material. These types of materials are difficult to 3D scan and won’t come out in your final 3D print.
2.?Find a location/event with a full body 3D scanner-?We can can put you in touch with one of our partners directly who has a location with a full body 3D scanner you can go to. You can also search for local comic cons since more and more have people are selling 3D portraits at them as they’ve become increasingly popular with attendees.
3. Take your 3D scan- The process is very quick and you only need to hold a pose for 1/4 of a second. It’s very similar to just taking a regular 2D picture. Once you take your 3D scan you’ll be able to select what size of 3D printed action figure you want. Sizes typically range from 3 inch to 9 inch. See video for overview of the full process.
4. Receive your 3D printed action figure- It typically takes 2-4 weeks to receive your 3D printed action figure after you’ve been 3D scanned and you place your order.
Update: We are now offering 3D printed figurines utilizing the next generation of full-color 3D printers. Follow this link to learn about the next generation of full color 3D printers that will be able to print in full-color plastic.
Ready to make a 3D printed action figure?
We’ll connect you with one of our partners that has a full body 3D scanner. Just let us know your location.